Public Interest Registry has worked closely with the global NGO community to develop a validation process for NGOs and ONGs seeking to register .ngo domains. Seven criterias are used to define an NGO or ONG for the purpose of validation:
- Focused on acting in the public interest. Whether in support of education or health, the environment or human rights, members of the .ngo community work for the good of humankind and/or the preservation of the planet and do not promote discrimination or bigotry.
- Non-profit making/non-profit-focused entities. While many NGOs and ONGs engage in commercial activities or generate revenue in support of theirs missions, members of the .ngo community do not recognize profits or retain earnings.
- Limited government influence. Recognizing that many .ngo organisations have important interactions with government, not least for reasons of funding (which may include receipt of some government funding in support of their programs,) members of the .ngo community decide their own policies, direct their own activities and are independent of direct government or political control.
- Independent actors. Members of the .ngo community should not be political parties nor should be a part of any government. Participation in the work of a .ngo is voluntary.
- Active Organisations. Members of the .ngo community are actively pursuing their missions on a regular basis.
- Structured. Members of the .ngo community, whether large or small, operate in a structured manner (e.g., under bylaws, codes of conduct, organizational standards, or other governancestructures.)
- Lawful. Members of the .ngo community act with integrity within the bounds of law. NGOs and ONGs participating as members in the .ngo community must certify that they adhere to the above .ngo Eligibility Criteria.
VALIDATION: Registrants must verify upon registration and owner change that they are part of the .NGO/.ONG community and meet the above mentioned eligibility requirements. After the transaction, registrants will receive a link that leads to the validation portal of the registry. Registrants will have 360 days from the domain create date to complete the validation process. Once the validation has been completed, the validation will be considered active for a term of two years.
- Please note that the TLDs .ONG and .NGO are included in one registration.
- If you register .ONG, the same domain name will be registered under .NGO too, and vice versa.
- Only the .NGO domain name will appear in your RRPproxy account domain list. All changes made to one domain will automatically be reflected on the other, apart from the DNSSEC information.