A .US Domain can only be registered by any U.S. citizen or resident, as well as any business or organization, including federal, state, and local government with a bona fide presence in the United States.
One of the following eligibility requirements must be met:
- A natural person
- who is a citizen or permanent resident of the United States of America or any of its possessions or territories or
- whose primary place of domicile is in the United States of America or any of its possessions, or
- Any entity or organization that is
- incorporated within one of the fifty (50) U.S. states, the District of Columbia, or any of the United States possessions or territories or
- organized or otherwise constituted under the laws of a state of the United States of America, the District of Columbia, or any of its possessions or territories, or
- An entity or organization (including federal, state, or local government of the United States, or a political subdivision thereof) that has a bona fide presence in the United States. See Section B.3.1 of the NeuStar proposal to the Department of Commerce for details concerning what constitutes a "bona fide presence".
For further information check the .US Nexus Requirements Policy. An additionally requirement is, that the name servers need to be physically in the United States.